History and Statistics
Township of Franklin History Center
1571 Coles Mill Road, Franklinville NJ. 08322
Mrs. Carol Coulbourn, Director
Hours: Wednesdays from 10:00am – 2:00pm
The Township of Franklin was incorporated on January 27, 1820 when 72,000 acres of portions of Woolwich and Greenwich Townships were combined. Glassboro, Clayton, Newfield, and Elk were originally part of this tract, but became independent municipalities by 1924.
Farms, orchards, glasshouses, gristmills and saw mills were an important part of the economy. In 1861, the Woodbury-to-Glassboro rail line carried passengers and freight from Camden to Millville, and a short time later, to Cape May. Franklinville, Iona, Malaga, and Newfield, had stations along the way.
A growing population needed schools, and Delsea Regional was built in 1960, with Delsea Regional Middle School following several years later. Small, localized elementary schools were replaced with larger facilities: Mary F. Janvier School, Main Road School, and Caroline Reutter School.
Today the Township of Franklin remains a semi-rural area with a mix of housing, businesses, farming, and open spaces. The population has grown from 1,137 in 1820 to 16,669 in 2010.
Our Community Center houses a Library, History Center, Senior Citizens’ area, Conference Room and a large meeting room which can be rented for social and business events.
The History Center
The History Center houses a collection of information and items related to local Franklin Township History. The most popular item is a complete collection of Delsea Regional High School yearbooks. Another popular item is a collection of Indian arrowheads discovered in the Township during the construction of Rt. 55. You will find old photos from the past, information on schools, churches, fire companies, ambulance corps, businesses, and other items of interest. For information or to schedule a group visit by appointment, please contact Mrs. Carol Coulbourn at 856-694-0654.
Historical Advisory Committee Members
Joseph Darminio, Colin McLain, Frank Pfrommer, Carolyn Gant, Joseph Bilinski, Diane Stockinger, Carl Napoli, Henry Kobik, Monica Zuba, Ethel Deitz & Carol Coulbourn. The Township Committee Representative is Mary Petsch-Wilson.